Other places to find legal help and information:
Free Legal Information and Self-Help Tools:
Michigan Legal Help has legal information and tools to help you handle many legal problems on your own. Toolkits for common legal problems include: Articles to help you learn more, Do-It-Yourself tools to prepare forms, and Checklists that guide you through each step of the process. There are also referrals to other resources that can help you, including lawyers, Self-Help Centers, and community organizations.
You can also find legal information at the Michigan Courts Self-Help Center.
Free Legal Aid programs in Michigan
The following organizations provide free legal help. Mostly they help people whose family income is low. Sometimes they help people no matter how much they make - mostly people who are abused or over age 60. They don’t take criminal cases, only cases that can’t send you to jail.
- Legal Services of Eastern Michigan or call 1-800-322-4512
- Counsel and Advocacy Law Line This is a statewide service– Call 1-888-783-8190
- The State Bar of Michigan’s Legal Aid Program search tool
If you have a criminal legal question or are currently incarcerated, we are unable to help you through MI Free Legal Answers
- If you are facing the possibility of time in jail or prison, you are entitled to an attorney. You should have received a form to request a lawyer when arrested. If you did not, fill out this form as best you can and turn it in to the court as soon as possible.
- In Genesee County, contact the Public Defender Program or call: 1-810-257-3484 for free assistance.
If you need to hire a lawyer, find a local one (not free):
- Genesee County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service– for lawyers in Genesee County or call: 1-810-232-6000
- State Bar of Michigan Legal Resource and Referral Center – 1-800-698-0738
Need help with food, clothing, shelter, medicine, or other services?